Thursday, June 2, 2011

Name Brands

Hi, my name is Kara, and I'm a name brand-a-holic. I will usually pay 50 cents (I just realized there is no cent symbol on keyboards) to a few dollars more just because something is "name brand." I am a marketer's dream.

However, if you think about it, for many people even if they don't insist on buying name brand, much of our vocabulary is shaped around them. For instance, when you get a cut do you ask for a Band-Aid or an adhesive bandage? I'll assume most people use the first term. Also, living in the south, basically any carbonated beverage is called a Coke, even if it's Sprite. I also refer to almost all tissues as Kleenex, and if it is meant to clean windows, it's called Windex no matter what the package says.

I'll hop off of my soapbox now and explain my ramblings. I've been using this certain Aveeno (Daily Moisturizing) lotion for about a hundred years awhile.



About a month ago, I noticed Target had come out with their in-store (Up and Up brand) version of the same lotion. The price difference was almost $3 ($9.59 for Aveeno vs. $6.74 for Up and Up), so I figured what the heck I'll give it a try. If it really was the same then that could save some money in the long run (see D I do know how to budget---kinda).

Some things should cost $3 more...the lotion was terrible. Okay, terrible might be a little harsh, BUT it definitely was not comparable to the Aveeno brand. However, I had already purchased it, so I went ahead and used it.

I went to Target today because I was out of a few things. I bet you can guess what one of the things I left with was. (My name brand Aveeno lotion!)

xoxo,

No comments:

Post a Comment